Good afternoon, STISD Parent,
The Governor's recent Executive Order, GA-34, rescinded all other orders that outlined health-related measures for the state in battling COVID-19. This order becomes effective on March 10, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. However, schools are not required to dismiss all of the safety and health protocols currently in place to battle this pandemic. Today, the Texas Education Agency provided the following guidance.
Schools must comply with the following requirements:
- Every student, teacher, or staff member shall wear a mask over the nose and mouth when inside a school building, school facility, facility used for school activities, or when in an outdoor space on school property or used for school activities, wherever it is not feasible to maintain six feet of social distancing from another person not in the same household; provided, however, that this mask requirement does not apply to the following:
- Any person younger than 10 years of age, except where a school system determines it is developmentally appropriate;
- Any person with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a mask;
- Any person while the person is consuming food or drink, or is seated in a dining area to eat or drink;
- Any person while the person is: (a) exercising outdoors or engaging in physical activity outdoors; and (b) maintaining a safe distance from other people not in the same household; or
- Any person while the person is giving a speech for a broadcast or to an audience.
- The above mask-wearing requirements do not apply to any school system that was exempted from the face covering requirements of Executive Order GA-29 during its effect due to a county judge attestation filed with the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
- The governing board of a school system may modify or eliminate by formal action the above mask-related requirements.
Therefore, STISD will continue to follow its “Safe Return to Work and School Plan,” which can be found on our district website.
The safety of our students, staff, and community is our priority.
Marco Antonio Lara, Jr., Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
South Texas Independent School District
For more information CLICK HERE